Coronavirus Effects on Foreigners Living in Spain

What will happen to your foreigner status in the Spanish territory during quarantine? Is there any foreigner office available to attend all those expats living in Spain? Can you leave the country? How will all the expats in Spain be affected by Coronavirus?

With the current uncommon situation, you may have tons of doubts. The covid-19 is completely affecting your life as an expat.  But this article tries to bring updated information to make your stay easier. 

We are going to extensively explain all the effects that coronavirus is producing on foreigners living in Spain. Furthermore, we will outline all the info you need in order to stay legally protected and act now in case you have to.

Spain is now one of the first countries in the world suffering from the virus. Over 80.000 cases have been registered, and the number doesn’t seem so stop growing. Hence, a great part of the country has been shut down.

Restaurants, coffee shops, movie theaters, schools, gyms and many other places have been closed. That is what an Alarm State is all about. 

And this has important implications for all those expats who are living in Spain

Not only you are not going going to be able to enjoy traditional festivities like Valencian Fallas or Andalucia’s Semana Santa, which have been cancelled. 

Your relationship with the Immigration office may also be affected while the impact of coronavirus is still present.

Spain's Alarm state: What the Lockdown is all about

The first thing we must do is understand what the alarm state is bout, so you can grasp the main implications that it will generate for you as a foreigner. 

The government, with the main aim to stop and prevent the extension of the virus, has declared this special situation. 

It basically implies that the Spanish army has the right to act, and some of your main rights are suspended. 

Basically, you cannot leave your house unless you are going to the supermarket, pharmacy, going where you work, or to take care of one of your relatives. 

You are required to stay home during the whole length of the alarm state. Right now that is 2 weeks, but it will probably be extended. 

How long will it last? Spain's Lockdown Extension

We do not know for sure. Initially, the alarm state had to just take two weeks. But the Spanish government recently announced an extension of an additional 2 weeks.

Therefore, a total of 1 month.

However, this period could be extended depending on the virus situation.

coronavirus effects on expats in Spain

How is the coronavirus going to affect me as a foreigner in Spain?

That is what we are going to answer throughout this article.

There are two different areas in which the coronavirus will affect your life as an expat in Spain:

First of all, the virus will affect your options to deal or contact with the foreigner’s immigration office, any police station, or the civil registry. 

All the administrations that link the foreigner with the country are completely closed. There is nobody who can attend you as a foreigner right now face-to-face.

This means that any immigration procedure you had programmed or you needed to undertake is now on hold. 

Furthermore, the current situation with the covid-19 will impact your possibility to enter or leave the country

Many borders are locked down, and you may no be able to enter Spain if you are abroad, or leave the country to go back to your main residency.

We will now explore those two areas into greater detail.

Ask anything to our lawyers and get an answer in just a few minutes!

Impact of Coronavirus on Spanish immigration procedures for foreigners

If you had an appointment with the immigration office to renew your TIE or residency card, or any other kind of scheduled activity, those are now canceled

No return authorizations are being issued, no fingerprints are being recorded. The same with any kind of interview appointment, like those required for arraigo. Those are all suspended.

For the duration of the alert state, all immigration procedures will be paralyzed. You can’t process any file or have an appointment in person.

Furthermore, all deadlines suspended, both in procedural and administrative matters. And that is also true for the time deadlines regarding appeals and court processes that were active.

However, pending applications will be resolved, and renewals are possible if done online.
But let’s answer all the specific questions we are receiving from our clients.

Are the immigration or police offices open?

No, every immigration office, police office, or civil registry is now closed

Furthermore, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in charge of legalizations, has also closed. Nevertheless, they are sending files via post mail, accompanied by an envelope prepared for express return.

There is just one exception. The civil registry will be just opened for marriages and childbirths that were scheduled.

But what happens if I had an appointment already scheduled?

If you had an appointment with any public administration institution, it is now suspended

Therefore, any appointment for fingerprinting, return authorization, European Union certificates, or pledge of allegiance for nationality procedures are temporarily canceled.

This does not mean it is canceled forever. Once the situation is normalized again, you will recover your appointment and proceed with your immigration file. 

Even though we do not know exactly how it will finally work out, people who had an appointment and that has been now cancelled due to the coronavirus will have preferential treatment and will be able to get their appointment earlier.

Make sure to check your mail in order to find a notification stating the cancelation of your appointment.

Appointments that have been canceled

Under the current situation, the appointments for all the residence permits that were presented at the foreigner’s office have been canceled:

However, an exceptional authorization has been created for the application of residences. You will have to present a number of specific documents and some personal ones.

With the digital certificate, your residence will not be affected.

Procedures you can't undertake right now

To make things even clearer, here is a list of the procedures that you CANNOT do right now:

  • NIE
  • Fingerprint registration
  • Return authorization
  • EU certificate

In other words, all the paperwork and procedures that were carried out at the police. 

Can I get an appointment with the immigration or police office?

You can still get an appointment for any immigration procedure that must be carried out face-to-face. 

But bear in mind that the soonest you can get that appointment is September. And all those who had a canceled appointment have now preferential treatment, so the delay to formalize your file will be notorious. 

In order to book your appointment with the immigration or police office, you must do that online.

What should I do if my residency card is about to expire and I need to renew it?

This can seem dramatic at first. Your TIE or residency card can be about to expire, and you cannot renew it, as any immigration procedure is paralyzed. Hence, you would become illegal in Spain.

But things are not that bad.

A Royal Decree has been approved, talking about the interruption of time limits for processing public sector procedures (including any public administration, without exception).

What does this mean? That you can still submit your renewal application, and you can do that online.

And for the renewal to be valid, you must start it before the expiration of your card (60 days before) or 90 days later. The renewal process can be carried out without any problem. The only thing you won’t be able to do now is the registration of your fingerprints. 

So our recommendation is that you contact our lawyers and let us be in charge of everything. You just need to send us your documents scanned, and we will present them online so you are legally covered.

My tourist visa is about to expire and I can't leave the country. What should I do?

Chances are that as a foreigner visiting Spain, your tourist visa is about to expire.

As the borders are closed, you will not be able to leave the country, which will mean that you will become an illegal person in Spain. What to do in this situation?

Good news. We can help you. We recommend you to send a letter to the competent institution requesting that your visa be extended for the duration of this situation.

And what happens if you don’t get an answer? In that case, there is no problem either. By sending the application, we understand you will get a valid justification that will avoid future legal problems. 

If you want us to guide you on how to proceed in this case, our team of lawyers is at your complete disposal.

Again, once the alarm state is over, we understand that you will have a reasonable period of 15 days to voluntarily leave the country.

These are the advice that we recommend you do. For official information, consult the press release issued by the Directorate General of Migration on Royal Decree 463/2020 of 14 March.

How to apply for your residency card renewal or citizenship NOW (without waiting)

However, even though all procedures have been suspended, the administration does work remotely. Therefore, you can still submit your application or renewal telematically.

So ho to proceed?

You just need to contact our team via email (, and we will manage the application for you.

You just need to send us by email a copy of your passport, residency card, census or padron if you have it, and we will pay for the fee online and submit the application.

Hence, everything will be done as usual.

Once you submit your application, you’ll get a receipt. With that, you are legal in Spain. Then, no matter how long the immigration office takes to proceed that application, you would have already done your homework and would be legally covered.

I appealed to a specific procedure and haven't gotten any response yet. Is it normal?

Yes, that is completely normal.

As we have already mentioned, all the immigration and legal procedures are now paralyzed, so government clerks will start working on your appeal once the coronavirus crises vanishes.

And what happens now with the nationality exams?

As we have seen throughout this post, the exams to obtain Spanish citizenship are also cancelled. 

The CCSE tests organized for March and April have been postponed to May and June.

On the other hand, the DELE exams for April and May have been canceled. They will be relocated as soon as possible.

And what happens now with the nationality exams?

All procedures or requests what are being processed will be resolved. The idea is that they get resolved quickly during the upcoming days.

Thus, if you submitted your application before the start of the alarm state, you will receive a favorable (or negative) response in the next days.

We cannot guarantee how long will that take, but you will still get a response.

Coronavirus and the current cross-border situation

You may now have a clear understanding of the current situation with all the legal procedures any foreigner has to undertake while in Spain during coronavirus times

Yet there is another crucial aspect we must also tackle: your ability to leave and enter the country.

Can I travel and enter Spain if I am abroad?

No. If you are a non-resident foreign citizen, you are not allowed to enter Spain now.

Only those who are Spanish nationals (or residents) will be able to come back to their origin country, where they will be attended.

Can I leave Spain during Coronavirus If I am a foreigner?

If you are under your tourist status, yes, you can leave the country. In any other case, you are not allowed to.

But you must also understand your origin country situation and laws. Because they may have forbidden your entry. 

Nevertheless, you will always be able to enter the country you have the nationality from.

For any doubt you may have... Seek online assistance from our lawyers

At Immigration Lawyers Spain, our doors will be always open. But with the main difference that those doors are now online. 

As we already mentioned, the Immigration Office is still working, even though not physically. That enables you to get your appointment or present your application online. 

And our team is ready to help you with doing that. You just need to scan your documents (with a scanner or with any phone app), send them to us, and we will manage the rest.

That will make sure you still comply with the corresponding law and you avoid any future problem with the Spanish authorities. 

And, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will make sure to answer in just a couple of hours.

0/5 (0 Reviews)

16 Replies to “Coronavirus Effects on Foreigners Living in Spain”

  1. Thank you for the information. What if my Autorización de Regreso expires next week? Won’t I be able to enter Spain with my expired Autorización de Regreso?

  2. How much is your fee to renew TIE. We are two persons that have to renew before the 18 of July.Also a third person who has to ask for long-term residence being a EU citizen (italian) and having been living in Spain for five years

  3. Hi, I’m a UK national resident in Italy, but currently living in Spain. I was about to start the process of becoming resident when coronavirus hit. Can I still conduct the process online? In the meantime, what happens if i get stopped by police while going for groceries? Will they ask for an address? I’m staying with a friend and don’t want to inconvenience them in any way by giving out their information.

    1. Hi Jen, yes you can! If you send us an email at we will guide you step by step on how to submit your application online right now. You won’t have any problem if the police stops you.

  4. I have an NIE and am renting in Malaga with a rental contract. We were due to go to Spain at the end of this month but that is on hold for now with CoronaVirus and Lockdown. Do you think that we would be admitted to Spain with an NIE in a few weeks or are we better off to wait for a month or two until it is all settled down? We are probably better off to wait until the Lockdown is over completely. ? I will be back to you for the Residency Application then. Thanks

    1. As you are not a resident in the country you wouldn’t be allowed to enter, so in that sense, it would be much better if you could return once the situation has come to an end.

  5. Adding to the question of Patrick Honan above, I am in the same situation with NIE, however, my entry validity is only from March 1 to June 13, with June 13 as latest date for me to arrive, my flight is supposed to be on April 1 but that is now canceled with the lockdown.

    My question is, what if by June 13, the lockdown is still not lifted, will my visa and NIE deemed expired already and I would not be allowed to enter using the visa even if during those period there was a lockdown?

    Thank You.

    1. Que los plazos administrativos están suspendidos, por lo que significa que este tiempo de Estado de Alarma “no cuenta”. Esto se traduce en que tienen más días para entrar. All the administratives deadlines have been suspended, which means that the time inside the alarm state does not count. Hence, you have more days to enter Spain. Ideally on June this will be solved, so you would be able to enter.

  6. Good day sir.iam from Nigeria and i got visa for family reunion but now that we have problem of coronavirus and Will don’t know the time that we stop if my,and i only have three months to enter Spain if my visa expired what can i do.thanks

  7. Hola
    Soy costarricense, estaba haciendo un semestre aquí, tengo residencia en Alemania de estudios, y quiero regresar el martes, es posible para mi salir de Madrid?

    1. Mientras tenga la entrada permitida en Alemania, no habrá ningún problema en salir de España.

  8. Hello, we are from Canada. Our three month stay will expire in a couple of weeks. As we cannot leave the country at this time due to the COVID 19 restrictions we need to extend the time limit on our stay. How do we get an extension?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap