How to renew your labor arraigo in Spain

how to renew arraigo laboral

As you may already know and as we saw in this article about the arraigo laboral, we are talking about a residency card that allows you to both live and work in Spain; and it allows you to do so for 1 year.

That is why, when this year comes to an end, if you want to stay in the Spanish territory legally you will have to renew your arraigo laboral.

How to do it? That is the question we will solve throughout this article, as you have 3 different options.

As with the social or family arraigo, we must clarify a very important point in order to understand how this residency card is renewed.

The fact is that this card for exceptional circumstances is not really renewed, but modified.

That is to say, it is not possible to have a labor integration card for 2 years in a row.

Once the first year comes to an end, you will have to change to another type of card (as we will now see in more detail).

This change or modification can be made to a work permit with a job contract, to a self-employed residency, or to a non-profit visa.

Also, as an important fact, the card you will receive after the renewal will be for 2 years (instead of 1).

Your 3 options to renew your arraigo laboral

There are 3 different paths available when “renewing” (as we have seen, it is actually a change of card type) your labor arraigo in Spain.

These three paths, which we will now analyze, depend on whether you have sufficient funds not to work, whether you have been working for a company and want to continue doing so, or whether you have set up your own business.

Let’s explore them in detail.

Arraigo laboral renewal with a job contract

In the event that you have been working in Spain during your year of labor arraigo, this will be the most recommended option.

More precisely, in order to renew, you must comply with the same requirements that are requested to renew a regular work permit.

We are talking about the following assumptions:

  • During the year of your arraigo, you have worked for at least 3 months, and subsequently, you were laid off but actively sought employment, and have found a new job
  • You have worked for at least 6 months and now have a new job offer
  • You have been working for 9 months you can renew without a job offer
  • You have been working and your contract is still active
  • You are receiving unemployment benefits

Renew your arraigo as a self-employed worker

If during your arraigo period you have not been working for a company but have set up your own business or have registered as an independent professional (self-employed worker), you must change your labor roots into a residence and self-employed work permit.

In order to renew, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  • The professional activity that you have been carrying out will be maintained over time, and you have fulfilled all your tax obligations with the Treasury and Social Security.
  • You are receiving cessation of activity benefits.

Renew with your own funds

Finally, there is the third possibility: if you do not need to work either as an employee or as a self-employed person and you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself in the country, either yours or that of an immediate family member, you can change into a non-lucrative visa.

As its name indicates, this residency does not allow you to work (only to reside).

Thus, in this case, you will have two options:

  • You are yourself the holder of the economic funds. In this case you will have to prove 400% of the IPREM.
  • If you have a direct family member residing in Spain (spouse, for example), you can use his/her funds, following the same criteria as in the case of family reunification.

In addition, please note that you must have full health care coverage by hiring private health insurance.

When and where should you submit your renewal?

As with any other type of residency card, you will have to submit the renewal of your labor roots during the 60 days prior to the expiration of your card and 90 days thereafter.

Our recommendation is that you do not wait until the end and start the process as soon as possible.

You can submit all the documentation completely online, and once you receive the favorable resolution, you will have to your closest police station to be issued the physical card.

If you would like our team to manage the application for you, from beginning to end and in order to ensure a successful resolution, do not hesitate to contact us!

Get in touch with our lawyers and let us guide you step by step:

0/5 (0 Reviews)
how to renew arraigo laboral

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

¡Suscríbete a nuestra newsletter! | Subscribe to our newsletter!