Non Lucrative Visa in Spain

  • Easy application
  • Straightforward requirements
  • Possibility to eventually stay in Spain long-term
  • Free movement within the Schengen Zone
Do you have any questions? Ask our expert immigration team and get instant legal advice!

What is the non-lucrative visa?

The non-lucrative visa is a Spanish residence permit that allows Non-EU citizens to live in Spain for a year, without the ability to work.

If you have sufficient funds and are not planning to undertake any type of economic activity, this visa is the best option for you. Plus, with its pleasant weather conditions, great gastronomy, and an overall charming vibe, Spain has a lot to offer. 

Can I apply for a non-lucrative visa in Spain?

Spain’s non-lucrative visa is most ideal for:

    • Foreigners who would like to retire in the country
    • Fresh graduates who would like to do a gap year
    • Non-EU citizens that have enough funds to live abroad without working
    • Those who would like the possibly to get a work permit in the future
spain non lucrative visa family

Requirements for the non-lucrative visa

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Medical certificate
  • Health insurance contracted with a private Spanish company
  • Proof of funds (€28,800 for you and €7,200 for additional family members)
  • Criminal records from all countries you lived in for the last five years

Main benefits of the Spanish non-lucrative visa

golden visa

Bring your relatives with you

Besides your permit as the main applicant, you will also be able to request Spanish residency for your spouse and children

visa gold

Move freely within the EU

With this residency, you will be allowed to travel to all the countries within the Schengen area

visado golden

Simple application procedure

The requirements for this visa are very straightforward. Once approved, you will be able to travel to Spain and get your residency card

requirements non lucrative visa

Stay in Spain for the long run

Once the first year comes to an end, you will be able to renew until you obtain the long-term residency

How will we help you apply for Spain's non-lucrative residence permit?

We will be by your side from start to finish, and can even help with the renewal to extend your stay in the country.

We will be in charge of having your documents translated into Spanish throughout the whole procedure.

We will fill out all the necessary documents for you and send them to the competent authority. You would just have to sign.

We will submit all your documents online

online immigratrion

Our lawyers will take care of sending the application or renewal documents, so you can get the residency without having to leave your home.

How to apply for a non-lucrative visa

There are two different phases in the general application process. 

    1. You will need to submit all the required documentation to the Spanish consulate located in your country of origin. You cannot apply for this visa from within Spain. In around two to three months, you should receive a positive or negative resolution.
    2. If the resolution is positive, you will get your visa. This will enable you to travel to Spain, register in any city or town in the country, record your fingerprints at the police office, and then get your physical residency card after 30 days.

Let us also help you with your residence permit renewal

  • Enjoy an easy and fast renewal: stay in Spain for the long-run without worrying about the paperwork
  • We will make sure you meet all the requirements and submit the documents for you
  • If you prefer, we will help you to modify to a work permit (to start working for a company or as a self-employed worker)
  • We will get an appointment with the immigration office for you
  • We will also help you fulfill and optimize your tax obligations so that you don’t pay extra
non lucrative residency in spain
What our clients say about us

What is the best way to effortlessly get the non-lucrative visa in Spain? Save time, money & effort by letting our expert team manage your application.

Frequently asked questions about the non-lucrative visa

✈ What are the main requirements to get the non-lucrative visa?

There are two main requirements you will need to fulfill in order to get this permit:

  • Demonstrate the possession of sufficient economic funds. You should have 400% of the IPREM (€28,000) for a successful application. If you would like to include family members, that would be an extra 100% of IPREM (€7,200) for each of them
  • Get private Spanish insurance. It should be full coverage within the Spanish territory, without copayments

✈ Should I have the money in a Spanish bank account?

No, or at least not in all situations. You can have the money in any financial institution located in your home country. The only thing you must make sure of is that the bank account is in the main applicant’s name. 

However, bear in mind that in countries such as China or Russia, it is required to have the money in a Spanish bank account. 

Here, you can access one of our articles with more information on this visa’s financial requirements.

✈ Can I get a work permit afterwards?

Yes. In fact, this is something many foreigners do. They apply for their non-lucrative visa, and once the first year is over and they have renewed, they transition into a work permit

The reason behind this is simple: it’s easier to get a work permit in Spain after having the non-lucrative residency, rather than starting from scratch. Plus, you can get a work permit as an employee or as a self-employed individual. 

✈ Can I invest in Spain under the non-lucrative residency?

Yes. Even though this visa does not allow you to work in the country, you can realize investments. For example, you can invest in stocks or funds in order to get an extra source of income. 

✈ Can I get the non-lucrative residence permit after several years with the student visa?

No, you can’t. It is not possible to study several years with your student visa and then get the non-lucrative directly.

You will need to go back to your origin country and start the whole application procedure there; making sure you meet all the requirements outlined in this page. 

✈ How do I renew this residence permit?

After a year in Spain with this permit, you will need to renew it. This renewal will allow you to stay in the country for two additional years. The renewal application must be submitted 60 days before or 90 days after the expiration of the card. 

The requirements are basically the same as the initial application, but with small nuances. For example, when it comes to demonstrating the possession of sufficient economic means, now you need to demonstrate double the amount (as the renewal is now for two years).

If you want more information, you can access a complete guide on how to renew the non-lucrative visa here.


3.4/5 (120 Reviews)